Do you enjoy helping others? Would you like to see some change in the current educational landscape? This is what Cubs to Wildcats is all about. Join other Arizona Assurance scholars as we collaborate with local Tucson schools to make a difference!
As an Arizona Assurance Scholar, you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others who may not realize that going to college is an opportunity they can pursue. The Cubs to Wildcats Program offers two programs for Elementary and Middle Schools in Tucson:
- The Drawing and Essay Contest is a program offered to elementary schools where students have the opportunity to participate. Cubs to Wildcat Volunteers will judge the contest entries and announce participants and winners at a school wide assembly.
- The Middle School to College Program is offered to middle schools where Cubs to Wildcats volunteers visit 8th grade classrooms and provide a presentation on the benefits of college and how to prepare in high school to be ready for college.
Our mission is to promote the importance of education to K-8 students through the presentation of valuable resources regarding high school preparation, college financial aid and requirements, and community involvement.
We envision students from underrepresented populations in the Tucson community to identify themselves as strong individuals that can prepare for and pursue a higher education.
If you are interested in being a member starting fall 2013 please return back to this page at a closer date!
To be considered for a position as a Cubs to Wildcats volunteer, you must:
- Complete an application and return it to the Nugent Building Reception Desk in Room 13 (lower level of the Nugent Building).
- Be in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.0 or above
- Commit to the program for at least two semesters
- Attend a mixer
- Attend a training session in the fall
- Attend weekly meetings
- Have a few 2-3 hour blocks (Middle School to College) or 1-2 hour blocks (Drawing and Essay Contest) in course schedule to accommodate visits
- Dedicate at least 5 hours a month to volunteering
- Participate in one social (semester mixers) and one fundraiser per semester
- Pay $5 membership dues per semester
Please email Leah Herlihy at email@example.com if you have any questions!
Cubs to Wildcats OrgSync page coming soon :)